24.6.09

Update. Big Time Stuff!

Oh yes, Tuesday nights are very good to me. After I talked about what I was going to do, I went up to the solitude of the third floor, looked out the window for a little bit, and wrote the last two new scenes. Now the real process begins. Hahah.

I'm typing them up, treating the typed copies like a second draft (like I did for the rest of the novel), and I think it's amazing how they change. The chapters are like living, breathing wonders. It doesn't matter what I wrote in the first draft. The second draft always changes. It's like the first, handwritten copy was the little kid- still with personality, but smaller and less developed. And then the second draft becomes this teenager. It has tons of developments, and often a lot of anger issues, and sometimes it talks more than it should, but it's still the same little bugger, and still lovable for all that. I still haven't thought of a proper analogy for all the third draft chapters that need revising.

Anyway, getting the chapters typed is only the first half of the process for the fourth draft. I have a whole list of chapters that need changes, anywhere from putting a small detail in, to changing the whole perspective it in which it was written. I don't know when it will end, but I look forward to the challenge of making this novel everything I know it can be.

Tonight I am going to do a ton of research. I'm trying to make my locations as real as possible, without physically being able to go to most of them. That means the southeast of England will be visited, also a greenmarket in Union Square, NYC..

A place that I might actually be able to visit this weekend is Assateague Island. It's only one of my favorite places in the world, and just happens to figure prominently in the novel. I just have to decide if I have the balls to go and do it. I think I do, but I'm often subject to the whims of laziness, which have prevented me from going there three times already this summer.

1 comment:

  1. where abouts in the South East? I could do some research for you?

    ReplyDelete