12.6.09

New Strategy

Alright, I have a new writing strategy, which is the same as my old strategy with one minor variation. Perhaps I should tell you my old strategy first.

My old strategy was to get started in the writing business by sending in stories to magazines. I looked at the old writers and saw what they did, and how they supported their novel writing endeavors by selling stories. Now, I'm not stupid enough to believe that anyone can support themselves by selling short stories anymore. That train has left the station. People don't buy the short story magazines like they used to. They watch tv. Novels still sell, though. People still read short stories, but not as much, and certainly not so much as to make someone rich.

That's fine. I don't want to get rich off my short stories. Hell, I don't even care if I get paid. That's the main difference now. I just want resume fodder. I have sparse publishing credits. And 'sparse' is a really nice word to describe what I have. I wrote a poem that got published in a tiny poetry magazine. And that's it. Nothing else.

So, I'm trying to get an agent interested in my new novel, and for the life of me I can't figure out why what I have would be compelling enough for them to want to. Sure, the concept might intrigue them, but there's nothing in my cover letter that inspires faith on the part of the agent to give me a chance.

Agent: This dude got a poem published? What the hell is 'Mastodon Dentist,' anyway? Doesn't this cat know that a novel isn't the same as a poem?

Yeah. Does this need explained any more?

So my wonderfully ambitious plan is this: I will find the three best literary journals or story magazines that I can, and send my three best stories. I've been meaning to edit the kinks out of my stories for a while, anyway, and this adventure will give me the excuse. So 'Glimmer Train' is going to get something. So will a couple other ones. And then, with a little luck and a little chutzpah, I'm going to get myself a few publication credits and make the agents happy.

Sound good? I guess you know what my plans for the weekend are.

2 comments:

  1. totally unrelated but I'm a virgo too... Are you an August baby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a September baby. Sept 22 to be exact-o. Almost a libra.. don't tell!

    ReplyDelete