14.6.09

Semi-Literary Garbage

Okay, so I finished the edits on 'Purple Heart', which is my favorite story so far. I like it because the protagonist is an "amoral piece of shit" (someone who read it called him that), and because he says the most clever things. I guess I like clever pieces of shit. Never knew that, did you?

I'm going to submit it to 'Glimmer Train' after I post this blog. 'Glimmer Train', along with 'Zoetrope: All Story", is the top of the heap when it comes to short fiction these days. I have no idea if my story is even good enough, but I know that if I get into it, that's a massive plus on my next query letter.

Here's what I hope: I hope that the magazines I'm trying to submit to aren't all about shitty semi-literary works that mean absolutely nothing except that the writer doesn't know how to write. I'm tired of "writers" like that wasting everybody's time. I love literature. I happen to think that the best literature should both mean something and be completely accessible. Just like I think the best music should be that way.

So, I'll let you know what happens. There are tons of short fiction magazines out there, so I know somewhere down the line I'll end up getting published, but I don't think there's any harm in trying to shoot for the best.

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy, you're really getting into this blogging lark aren't you (sorry was that really Englihs)....I love it - it's such a good way to find out what makes people tick...

    ReplyDelete