23.7.09

Stories and a Kid's Book

Well, since I last posted, a lot has happened. Still haven't heard back from Glimmer Train. Still haven't snagged an agent. Those are both fine. I wasn't expecting those.

I wrote two stories. One was a story I started writing four years ago called 'Our Gang'. I think it's pretty entertaining, but I also think I was at a darker place in my life at that time.

The other was a first person perspective of basically someone looking out of a window and wondering what he's doing with his life. I don't know where I got the inspiration for it, honestly. I never look out the window, and I know exactly what I'm doing with my life. heheheh.

Oh well.

Oh, I'm now really in the thick of writing 'Faeriemerica' again. I've developed the style, I've got the action, I've got the little pieces in place that make my characters pop with life. It's going to be awesome. I'm going to be working on chapter five tonight, and I'm not going to lie, I'm actually excited about doing it.

The other thing I've been thinking about is all the stories I have. I have eighteen short stories, fifteen of which are more than flash fiction- and probably thirteen of which I'm really, really happy with. That doesn't mean they don't need improvement. They do. But it means I have confidence in them. The whole collection comes out to about 151 pages, in 12 pt. Arial 1.5 spacing (what I type in). It's about 9,000 words short of novel length, and I figure four or five more stories should do it.

One of those stories is a real beast. It's called 'Muse', and I've been working on it since January. It might kill me. It might be amazing. I'm not sure. I worked on that today at the cafe I walk to to work in.

One of those stories will be another African story. I need to write it before it's gone from my memory, and it was a genuinely terrifying experience which I think needs to be written about.

And yet, with all of the work I've been doing, I still felt at most points in the last few days that I wasn't getting enough done. I don't know why I'm beating myself up over it, but I am. I finished two stories on Tuesday, and that was the day I felt the most unproductive. It's a weird feeling, but I'm in control of it for now.

2 comments:

  1. Glimmer Train always takes a long time to get back to you. At least they did for me, though of course that was a rejection. But I mean not to scare you, my friend.

    Arial is a good font, that is what I use as well because I use Liquid Story Binder software. I like it very much. Otherwise I like Times New Roman, 11 pt. in Microsoft Word.

    lol. Us writers and our pickiness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment. yeah. glimmer train rejected me, but whatever. I read some of their stories from the current issue, and I really wondered why someone would reject mine? i thought it was just as good quality as the others. maybe I'm just behind the times and they are up to date on reading trends, or something. whatever. yeah. arial is a super good font.

    ReplyDelete