19.7.09

Motivation

I've been thinking about why I'm not exactly inspired to work on my new WIP. It's concept is awesome, as I've stated before. I think it's accessible and ready to be consumed by the masses. I just haven't found the motivation to actually work on it lately.

I know exactly what's going to happen. I know all about the characters. I know what motivates them. I just don't know what motivates me. Why am I holding back?

The thought occurred to me today that I might have been approaching this thing the wrong way. I have my main character jumping into a world that is completely unrealistic. Sure, it's a fantasy, but even fantasy needs to be plausible. The reality of it is, if a child is going from a modern day world, and the world he is going to is populated by a mix of modern day people and fairies, the people aren't going to be running around with swords.

In short, I need rules.

What goes into the new world? What stays out?

Austin's (my main character) method of entering the world is through a small pool, and it stands to reason that other entrances to the world are through the same method. So anything bigger can't come. Cars won't be there. Motorbikes won't be there. Packs can come. Guns can come. Ideas can come. If someone's a big enough genius, they can manufacture what they remember from their old world.

The other thing I need rules for is that there's going to be a certain style to this world. It's a mix of fairy style and dispossessed, disgruntled, disgusted people style. After all, the dispossessed are the ones that want to leave our world, are they not? So there's definitely going to be a style, but it's going to be weird. It's going to be very natural and very artistic. It's going to be funky and fresh, and unlike anything fantasy has ever seen.

I think these rules are going to help me motivate myself. I hope. Keep on trucking, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment