23.5.10

Second Novel

I finished the second novel on Tuesday, as I believe I said I would. That's actually pretty good for me--it's not all the time that I actually keep my word about things. Of course, with my writing style (which I won't give up for anything, at least not at this time) that means i have three notebooks full of writing hardly intelligible to anyone except myself. I wish I could say I've been busy since Tuesday, diligently transcribing the written words to the computer screen, changing details, making the grammar flow better, but I haven't. Well, okay, I actually have, but not as much as I'd like.

I have about half of the book finished now, typed up on the computer, looking decent, sounding decent. I'm actually really proud of the prose style. The problem, of course, is that most of those chapters I had written up before. Since Tuesday, I've actually wrote about four chapters for the second draft. In other words, this thing is going to take a while. Fortunately all the mental heavy lifting has been done at this point. Now I just have to find the discipline to keep at it every day so I can get it done in a decent time. I'm capable of writing a chapter and a half every day. Realistically, that might turn into a chapter. Up until now, I've actually averaged about three-quarters of a chapter a day. But that's going to change! Maybe.

Let's set a goal, then. Let's set a goal of 12 days from now. One chapter per day, twelve more chapters to type up. That will put me at Friday, June 4th. If I blast that sucker out of the water, more power to me, but by no means will I go over that date. I still have way too many things planned for this summer, and this novel will not monopolize my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment