15.5.10

Seeing the Light at the End of the Tunnel

By which I mean, I'm almost finished with my second novel. Okay, so it's a children's novel. Big deal. Okay, so I'm not supposed to talk about works in progress. Big deal. I'm still proud of it. I'm proud I kept with it this long, and even though I'm not meeting my original deadline of one and a half weeks, I'm going to be finished with it in a couple days. Instead of ten days, it will end up being sixteen days, but it will still be finished. My new estimated time of completion is Tuesday, and as long as I stay focused, I should crush it. Then I'll get on with the hard work.

I love plotting. Plots are hobbies with me. Sometimes when I'm bored I'll start plotting a new book. Since I discovered a plotting style that I enjoy, I'm not afraid to start new projects, because I know that plotting will take maybe a week, and even an ADHD-er like me can handle a week. Plotting is like instant gratification for me. Some people watch movies, I plot novels. Anyway, what was the point of that little tangent? Oh yes! Although I like plotting, I've been finding out that in the course of writing, it's good not to stick too rigidly with the skeleton. The book grows, it takes on a life of its own, it becomes different than what I originally envisioned. And that's where the beauty of it all comes in.

Also, I've figured out that my favorite milieu is novels, not short stories. How long is it before most people figure that one out?

I'll get back soon, probably when I've finished the book, and I'll talk about some summer plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment